Dominican church (the Greek Catholic church of the Holy Eucharist) – is one of the best attractions in Lvov built in Baroque style. The Dominican Order was founded in 1215 in Toulouse (modern France) by a Spanish monk Dominic (Saint Dominic of course). First that was a community of poor monks but later it turned into one of the most powerful and wealthy organizations in Europe. The word-play in the name of this Order made its members the Dominic’s followers (Dominicanes, lat) and Domini canes (God’s dogs). First they were really very poor followers, but later on they became real Domini Canes – at the mercy the inquisition tribunal was given to Dominicans and they were “tearing” heretics in Italy, France, and especially in Spain. Rigidity and often cruelty of Dominicans inquisitors didn’t have any bounds. Their efforts were aimed at protecting the faith against heresies. Moreover they were controlling most of the major schools in Europe, thus forming the public opinion. This situation is very well described by Umberto Eco in his work “In Rose’s Honor”. The cornerstone to the foundation of the great and dynamic Dominican building was laid by Uzef Pototsky, great uncrowned Khetman and the main benefactor of the construction that lasted from 1749 till 1764. The building of the monastery of the Roman Catholic Church began on the place where used to be a Gothic Church. Yan de Vitte, talented architect and military engineer, was working on the sketches. The Church was ready in 1769. In future it will be restored many times (for example after the fire in 1778). In 1865 the bell-tower was added to the church. Monastic cells were a part of the former church. Their construction was finished in 1621. They say that in these monastic cells in 1707 Russia and Poland signed an agreement about war against Sweden. The church is built in late Baroque style. It's built on the plan of the Greek cross inscribed in an ellipsoid and topped with a monumental dome. The best examples of Lvov plastics of XVIII century gilded sculptures belong to the altar of the Dominican church created by S.Fesingerom and 18 wooden statues of the saints of the Dominican rite, which are under the dome. The interior of the cathedral is decorated with Dominican art attractions alabaster tombs of the XVI century, carried over from the dungeons old Gothic church, marble tomb of Countess Yu.Dunin-Borkowski, work by an outstanding Danish sculptor B.Torvaldsena (1816) monument of governor F.Fon Gaueru (1824 sculptor Shimzer) and the famous Polish artist A.Grottgeru (1880r. sculptor V.Gadomsky). During the Soviet era the Dominican cathedral was closed, having arranged here at first storage of concrete, and then the museum of history of religion which by the way, is now located near the building of the temple. One of the most striking exhibits is paired burial of a man and a woman who died in the embrace. Now, in the Dominican Church there is an organ hall, a divine melody of organ music can be heard not only during the services but also directly on the organ concert. If you're walking in Lvov near the Dominican cathedral in the evening, you will see the extraordinary beauty of sight. Unusual illumination emphasizes the dignity of the church-dome sculptures and magnificent domes and shimmering playing different shades. No other Lvov church has such illumination. In the little square near the Dominican cathedral in May 2006 was established the original bronze monument to artist-a primitive Nikiforov (Nicephorus Drovnyak Epiphany).
The index finger on his left hand rose over his head, and his nose shine. According to the myth Lvov Nicephorus does one wish a day need only hold the finger raised upward (who will not reach to the finger - can hold of the nose - as an equivalent option). Therefore there are volunteers there all day long!