The Shevchenko avenue
The Shevchenko Avenue is one of the main streets in Lvov. The buildings on this street look like real castles from the Middle Ages.
The first written testament of this street dates back to 1569. This street used to be a part of Galitske suburbs. Tanners used to live here. The street used to look like this: in the middle of the avenue there was a swamp riverbed of the Poltva River, there was a bridge across this swamp to the Fredra Street. In the end of the avenue there was a little pond. On the bridge there was a monument to St.Yan Nepomuka.
From XIX till 1871 the street used to bear his name and was called St.Yana Street. In 1871 the street got a different name – Academitchna Street as it was leading to the old building of Lviv University. Modern Grushevskogo Street.
In 1955 the the street got renamed once again into Shevchenko avenue. It’s interesting to know that old residents still call it Academitchna Street. On this street there used to be many hotels, one of the oldest cinemas, the most ancient Russian bath in Lvov. Unfortunately all this is lost.
Today the Shevchenko Avenue gladdens the eyes of the citizens and guests of the city.