The Lvovska Square
Lvovska square is located in Shevchenkovskiy district in Kiev. It is located between the streets: Bolshaya Jytomerskaya, Sretenskaya, Reitarska, Yaroslaviv Val, Vorovskogo and Artioma. Since 1037 the Lvovskie Gates are situated here, they were opening the way from Lviv to Kiev. This territory used to be very harsh because it included the fortifications that were protecting the city against invasions. In 1869 the square got its name – to honor the Lvovskie Gates, that were here from XVII-XVIII.
In 1835 the gates got new name – Jytomerskie. In XIX century the gates were destroyed and the square was created. At the same time there was a different name – Sennaya, as there was the Sennoy market (before 1958). The current name was attributed in 1959. Modern architectural ensemble is marked by two dominant buildings: the massive House of Trade and the House of Artists, located in front of each other. The House of Trade was being built from 1968 till 1981. The House ofArtists was built in 1978. The façade is decorated with seven women statues – allegory of art.
On the Lvovska Square there was located the Sretenska Church – made of wood (XI-XIX), made of stone (1861, destroyed in 1930s). There are plans to restore this church. The nearest metro station “Zoloti VOrota”.