The Bessarabska Square
The Bessarabska Square is located in Shevchenko district in Kiev between Kreshatik Street,Taras Shevchenko Boulevard, Krasnoarmeiska Street, Krutyi Descend and Basseina Street. It appeared in XVIII-XIX centuries as a stables post station. In XIX the market appeared on this square. The paesants from the south of Malorossia, Novorossia and Bessarabia were selling goods there. The current name dates back to those times. The most popular goods were vine and fruit. In 1840s this square was included into the city territories and many houses were built there. In 1867 the market square was rearranged (it used to have a different name then - Universitetska). In 1869 the square got a new name – Bogdana Khmelnitskogo. Since 1881 the square has been called by its current name. This square used to hold one of the biggest markets in Kiev. The central place on the square became the indoor market built in 1910-12s. The grand opening was performed on July 3, 1912. The market became very profitable in a very short time period. Later the market became a crucial part of the Square itself. The building of the market remains the same for many years with the exception of a few details. In 2001 the trade center Metrograd was built under the market. Also on this square you can visit trade center Mandarin Plazza and supermarket Billa.