Ru / En

Golden Gate

Kiev Ukraine

Golden Gate was built in 1037 during the reign of Grand Prince Yaroslav the Wise of Kiev.

St. Andrew's Descent

Kiev Ukraine

According to legend, St. Andrew's descent got its name from Saint Andrew the First-Called.

Deribasovskaya Street

Odessa Ukraine

Deribasovskaya is a symbol of South Palmyra, and if you want to see the most beautiful and interesting sights of Odessa town, then it is worth going on this street.

Duke de Richelieu

Odessa Ukraine

The monument, of the founders of the city, Duke de Richelieu on the Promenade is one of the main attractions of Odessa.

Cities

Kiev

Lvov

Odessa

Navigation

Travel

News

Articles

Map of Ukraine

Contacts

Map of Kiev

Map of Kiev subway

1559 - The English
Enquiry Service

Weather in Kiev



Articles

21/11/2012

St.Michaels' Golden-Dome Cathedral


St.Michaels' Golden-Dome Cathedral

St.Michaels' Golden-Dome Cathedral - Is one of the most ancient monasteries in Kiev. It includes the Cathedral built in honor of Archangel Michail (the cathedral was ruined in 1930s and rebuilt in 1990s) in Ukrainian baroque style, and also a refectory with the church of Johan Bogoslov (1713) and bell tower (1716-1719). The legend says that the first metropolitan in Kiev Michailfounded it. Since the ancient times the church has its name –Golden-Dome – apparently because it was the only one church with golden domes at that time.

The St.Michael's Cathedral had a special meaning for citizens of Kiev (1108-1113) as it was dedicated to Archangel Michail – the Holy Patron of Kiev. In XII century the Cathedral was the place of burial of all the princes. In XVII near the Golden-Dome monastery there was a Golden-Dome convent that was later transferred to the Podol in 1712. The Golden-Dome Cathedral was seriously damaged during the battle with Batuy in 1482. When Kiev was included to the Moscow state the Cathedral dispossesses its property that was still under the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. But the Hetmans and Cossacks authorities attributed many territories to this cathedral on the left bank of Ukraine.

The deconstruction of the cathedral happened in 1934-1936. The relics of St.Varvara since 1960 have been stored in the St.Volodymyr cathedral. In 1934-1935 the mosaics that survived were taken off and transferred to the St.Sophia's Cathedral. For mosaics “Evharistiy” there was built a special wall in the exhibition hall at St.Sophia's Cathedral, its shape resembles the apse of St.Michael's Cathedral.

The reconstructed St.Michael's Cathedral (1997-1998) – is one of the main Cathedrals of Ukrainian orthodox church of Kiev Patriarchy. Since 2001 the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation has started the process of giving back the remains of mosaics from the St.Michael's cathedral that were kept in Ermitaj. OnJuly 15, 2008 theexhibitwiththeseobjectswasopened. On the bell tower of the monastery there is a modern electric chiming clock and keyboard musical carillon on which a specially trained musician can perform difficult musical melodies.

Do you like this article?

 

Comments to the article - St.Michaels' Golden-Dome Cathedral

 
This article has not yet commentedWrite a comment
Your name*


 
Refresh code
   Enter code from the picture

Favourite placesAccommodation
2012 enjoyukraine.info All rights reserved. The content is protected Google