Lessia Ukrainka monument
The monument to Lessia Ukrainka was installed in September, 1973 on the crossing of the Lessi Ukrainki Boulevard and Kutuzva Street, on the main Square of Pechersk district.
The architects who created the monument are A.F.Ignashechenko and sculptor G.N.Kal’chenko. The monument represents the figure of the poet made of bronze.Its height is 5 meters and is situated on the pedestal made of black labradorite.
Near the monument the trees are planted that are taken from the native town where Lessia Ukrainka was born. In the middle of the monument there is a great fountain. The total height of the monument is 10 meters.
The real name of Lessia Ukrainka is Larissa Kossatch (1871-1913). She was an active public leader, talented poet and playwright. In 1876 Lessia Ukrainka visited Kiev for the very first time with her parents. Later she spent most part of her life in Kiev.
The boulevard in Kiev, the streets in 17 biggest towns of former USSR, the university in Lutsk and the Theatre in Kiev are bearing the name of this famous woman. In Ukraine there are 4 museums of Lessia Ukrainka, also there are many monuments abroad (including Moscow and Toronto).
The portrait of the writer is illustrated on 200 UAN bank-note.