Kostiolna Street is located in Shevchenko district in Kiev. The length of the city is 270m. It leads from the Independence Square to the Triohsviatitelska Street.
Kostiolna Street appeared in 1830s and ever since then it is bearing the same name (derives from the name of Aleksandrovsky Roman Catholic Church that is located on the upper part of the street). During 1934-1991 it had a different name though – Tcheluskintsev Street (to honor the participants of the North Polar drift on the steamer “Tcheluskin” in 1934). In 1880s there was a boulevard added to this street.
The street is particularly interesting because it has the original architecture of the end of XIX beginning of XX centuries. The majority of buildings there are profitable houses. The main architectural dominant on this street is St.Aleksander’s Cathedral (1817-1849) built in the late classical style by famous architect FransMekhovitch. Also there are a few other buildings that are included in to this complex: ythe building of the Dominican monastery (the first half of XIX), the fence with the gates (the first half of XIX), the benefit house (1913-1914), lodge (1884), outhouse for the Church staff (1824), the outhouse with utility basement.
Nearest metro stations: the Independence Square, Khreshchatik