Ivan Franko Park
The Ivana Franko Park is located in front of the main building of the Ivan Franko University in the central part of the city. It covers the territory of 11,6hectares. It is considered to be one of the oldest parks in Lvov, as well as one of the oldest parks in Ukraine.
The history of creation of this park dates back to XVI century. It occupies the place where used to be city fields. These fields used to belong to Yan Sholz Vofovitch who began building a garden. In some time Sholz gave this garden to his son-in-law Antonio Massari who owned one of the houses on Ploshcha Rynok. Massari reorganized the garden in Venetian style, created terraces and offered this garden to the town. In 1864 the park was temporary given to Jesuit monks who started building their monastery in Lvov at that time. They built the plant that produced bricks and a brewery in the park. That’s why people used to call this park Jesuit Garden and Jesuit farm.
The Austrian authorities occupied the park in 1773. In 1835 the terrace was built in the middle of the park that is still there. The central path lain was laid in 1886. The trees were also planted during this period.
During the pre-war period the park had a different name – Kostiushko Park – to honor Polish rebel Tadeush Kostiushko.
During the soviet period the park got another name – Franko Park – to honor famous writer Ivan Franko who lived across the street from the park (1878-1979). In 1964 the monument to Ivan Franko was installed in front of the university.
Today in the Franko Park you can find the Ukrainian union of nature protection, the gardener’s house, the terrace and kids’ playground with carousels.