Ru / En

Golden Gate

Kiev Ukraine

Golden Gate was built in 1037 during the reign of Grand Prince Yaroslav the Wise of Kiev.

St. Andrew's Descent

Kiev Ukraine

According to legend, St. Andrew's descent got its name from Saint Andrew the First-Called.

Deribasovskaya Street

Odessa Ukraine

Deribasovskaya is a symbol of South Palmyra, and if you want to see the most beautiful and interesting sights of Odessa town, then it is worth going on this street.

Duke de Richelieu

Odessa Ukraine

The monument, of the founders of the city, Duke de Richelieu on the Promenade is one of the main attractions of Odessa.









Map of Ukraine


Map of Kiev

Map of Kiev subway

1559 - The English
Enquiry Service

Weather in Kiev





The Kiev funicular is a system that connects the Podol with the Upper part of the city. This is the second funicular in the Russian Empire after the one in Odessa.

Till the beginning of the twentieth century they were using wooden stairs to get from the Podol to the upper part of the city. As the city transport was developing it was impossible not to solve the problem of how to get from the Podol to the Vladimirska Hill. The idea of creating such transport has always existed – in fact there was a project to build this funicular system near the Andreevska church.

In the end of the nineteenth century the trams couldn't go along the Andreevskiy descend. The streets there were very narrow, steep and curved. That's why Podol wasn't connected with the upper part of the city. The city authorities decided to create a separate mechanical elevator on open spot.

The equipment and the carriages were made in Switzerland, as the masters there have long experience in creating rope ways. They added special ribbon brakes that were connected with the engine. They were automatic, but could also been used by the mechanic's decision. These brakes didn't allow to speed more than it is authorized by the manufacturers and also prevented the strikes of the carriages against the platforms of the upper and the lower stations.

On May 7, 1905, the builders and mechanics who were working on this project took a test drive on the funicular. On the next day, May 8, the funicular was opened for passengers.

In summer 1928 there was an accident. During the reconstruction the upper carriage fell down from the upper station and crashed into the carriage on the lower station. People didn't get hurt but the carriages were fully destroyed and they had to be totally reconstructed.

The next reconstruction took place in the middle of 1980th.

In the beginning of the autumn in 2008 Kievpastrans announced the tender to reconstruct the funicular. But the economic crises got on the way and the authorities only allowed to repair it.

The next attempt to reconstruct the funicular (to upgrade the concrete overpass, to make wider sidewalks and to enhance safety) was made in 2011. The project implies the replacement of old carriages by the new ones.

The upper station of Kiev funicular has the access to the Vladimirska Hill. “Poshtova Square” – is the lower station of the funicular, opened in 1929, when it was made longer in length. There is a metro station and a river port near the funicular.

The difference of heights between stations: 75m

Time of circulation: 2-3min

Timing: 6am to 11pm

The cost: 1.50 UAH

Do you like this article?


Comments to the article - Funicular

This article has not yet commentedWrite a comment
Your name*

Refresh code
   Enter code from the picture

Favourite placesAccommodation
2012 All rights reserved. The content is protected Google