The Vladimirska Street
The VladimirskaStreet is a street in Shevchenkovkiy district in Kiev, it goes from the north-west to the south-west, from the Andreevskiy descend to the Desiatynna Street. The street lies in the historic area: the Old City, Pankovshchuna, and the New Construction. The length is 2.9km.
A part of the street, starting at the Desiatunna Church till the Sophiivki Gate was constructed in the X century. After the St.Sophia’s Cathedral was built in Xi century the street got longer, it led straight to the western border of the city. It was running across the most ancient parts of Kiev – the Vladimir City and the Yaroslav City. It used to be the main street of the City. It led from the main entrance to the city – the Golden Gate – till the main Cathedral – St.Sophia’s Cathedral. Also on this street the Irininska Church was built, the Georgian Cathedral, St.Fedor’s Monastery and many residential buildings.
Only in XVII century the St.Sophia’s Cathedral was reconstructed, the bell tower was built on the foundation of the Desiatunnui Cathedral, the territory of current Sophia’s Square and the beginning of the Vladimirska Street was included into the composition of the Ancient Kiev fortress. In the end of XVIII – beginning of XIX century the construction of the buildings on this territory begins. When the banks were finally destroyed on that place the new straight street was laid and was called Vladimirska. When Kiev got bigger in XIX century the street was also prolonged till the valley of the Lybid River. In 1837-1842 the main building of the Kiev State University was constructed on this street. The University got the name St.Vladimir’s University and was founded in 1834. From this time the current view of the street began to evolve. In the end of XIX century the street was paved, the gas and later electric torches appeared to light the street.In 1895 a tram lane was added on the street. In XX century the new theatre was being built on this street that is now one of the most famous buildings in Kiev. Only in 1901 the street got its current view and length.
During the XX century the street didn’t have any major reconstructions. The main part of buildings is still preserved though some buildings are lost, destroyed. Today the Vladimirska Street is one of the most important streets in Kiev. As it also has a rich historical background the street is also a favorite tourist attraction. Here you can see unique monuments that date back to XI-XIX centuries, the St.Sophia’s Cathedral and Sophia’s Monastery, the remains of the Golden Gates, the buildings of the Kiev State University, Pedagogical museum, the Opera theatre and many others monuments of architecture that do not have analogues in Europe.
In the St.Sophia’s Cathedral you can see the graves of Yaroslav Mudryi, Vladimir Monomach, metropolitan Rafail Zaborovskiy, Eujeniy Bolhovitinov and many others important church figures. Sarcophagus of Yaroslav Mudryi is the only one preserved since the Kiev Russ times. On the occasion of Kiev’s 1500 anniversary in 1982 the foundations of the ancient Sophia’s Gates were decorated with the red lights along the Vladimirska and Bolshaya Jytomerska Streets.